Monday, March 16, 2009

Third Quarter Starlight

Last night was an opportunity to enjoy a perfectly clear evening without moon or clouds. It was my last real practice before Messier Marathon weekend for those sunset objects. Diane and I took off for Hill Country State Natural Area, near Bandera Texas.

Before leaving for the observing session, my wife and I had watched the Space Shuttle blast-off at about 6:40 local time. A fellow amateur, Brian, from the San Antonio Astronomical Association, had sent out an email reminding us that we would probably be able to see the Shuttle at the end of its first orbit from the San Antonio area. (Brian is el presidente of the club.)

At sunset, I was setting up the scope at Hill Country. I had my satellite spotter (Diane) with me and she had first view of the Shuttle at about 815 almost due north about 30 degrees high. 45 minutes later, another bright satellite passed just below Orion's belt, just above M42, also traveling SW to NE. Space Station? We saw a dozen satellites, and several shooting stars. One dim satellite passed reasonably slowly (high altitude I'd guess) through Andromeda galaxy about 845 when I was finally able to see M32 and M110.

I got a good practice on M74 and M77 two weeks before the marathon. M74 sure is hard, though I believe I was able to see it with averted vision.

With the rain of the end of last week, the ground was wet and the dew was early and heavy. I ended up having to cover my Telrad and eyepiece with a piece of cloth between observations to keep them warm enough to not fog. By 945 when I was done for the night, the outside of the tube was covered heavily with dew.

The open clusters of Gemini and Auriga were bright and easy with binoculars with the limiting magnitude of 6 - normal from Hill Country.

I had to pull the plug at about 9:45 because of work the next day. The deer on the way home were numerous and we even saw deer along Bandera Highway. I had previously seen a lot of deer on Park Road, but not on Bandera. Total deer seen on the way home... about 18. None actually ran onto the road in front of me, though a couple thought about it as they listened to my sudden braking.

No comments:

Post a Comment