Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Astronomy and Fitness


Over the last eight or nine months, as I have become more and more interested in astronomy, I have taken less time to hike and walk and ride my mountain bike. Unfortunately, I found that this had an effect on my weight and my waistline. My weight rose from about 185 to 215 pounds. At first, my 36 inch waist pants got tight and then intolerable. I moved to 38 inch waist pants and then they got tight too!

It is time for me to become a shadow of my present self. I need to weigh less. I need to be in better shape.

This week, my wife persuaded me to start joining her in regularly attending a health club. She has been very good at getting exercise for most of a year now, and finally I am on the way back to health too. I thank her for the encouragement and inspiration.

We decided to plunk down the money to join the local Spectrum health club after visiting the local clubs. Spectrum was lighter, a little less crowded, and smelled better than the other club we visited. It is close enough that I can get there after working my day job, instead of just wishing that I could drive to Lackland AFB to use their gym for free. Yeah, it was also a little more expensive.

So, here I am a few days later with some soreness of my muscles and I’m slowly starting my way down the weight loss path again. (I am reducing portion sizes and abandoning all snacks too.) I know it will take a number of months to get back down to fighting weight, but the journey has started.

Astronomy is a great activity, but the problem with it is that there is not much activity to it. If you are having as much fun under the dark sky as I am, maybe a review of your other activities is in order – like it was for me. We want to enjoy the sky for as many years as possible. Staying in shape and staying healthy is part of that equation.

Huff and puff,
Dark skies too,

Rick

2 comments:

  1. That is great. Tina and I have a Spectrum membership. It is part included with my health insurace. Tina and I used to be good about going 3 times a week last school year. This year we haven't been as good about going... but we hope to change that soon. Maybe we'll catch you at the GYM sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Risk,
    I appreciate this post. My wife and I are also trying to stay healthy for our future. With a young daughter and a million things we both do...well, it's tough. Two weeks ago at the Cherry Springs Star Party I was cold so I started doing jumping jacks and running in a circle. People must have thought me mad, but I was warmer and a little healthier! It is a demanding hobby on the body. I'd love to link to your blog from my own astronomy blog, if you'd return that favor. Cheers
    doug

    ReplyDelete