Monday, February 1, 2010

Ruminations on Astro Sketching

I think one of my central problems with drawing is that I want to draw
more detail than what I see.

When I sketch a tree, or a landscape, I have learned by experience that
the secret to making it represent what I really saw is to include less
detail than a photograph would.

I think I need to start thinking about astro sketching the same way.
Maybe I should - like John E - go back to sketching a constellation.
Accurately putting each star that I can see in its place, but not
worrying about getting every star into the drawing.

Instead, my impatience too often leads to unfortunate results when I get
tired of drawing what I see and suddenly create a mass of close dots to
represent an area of cloudiness. In the end, it is a sense of rush that
leads me to ruin what I have put time into drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment