Friday, June 11, 2010

Un-degenerate matter

I was reading about the compressed matter of white dwarf stars in Burnham's Celestial handbook. It occurred to me that there could be situations which could add enough energy to such systems that their degenerate matter could expand back into normal matter. Maybe a collision between such stars at high velocity? Maybe a focused beam of cosmic energy from a black hole jet? Maybe a nearby supernova?

Maybe some of the heavy matter our solar system is composed of comes from this process instead of all of it coming from supernovas themselves?

I was also considering his case of cooled dwarfs composed of degenerate matter as a component of the dark matter the universe requires. I'm not sure I have seen that discussed in any of the few articles I have read.

Oh well, back to more mundane work.

No comments:

Post a Comment