Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Observing Chair/Step Stool


When I get sawdust and plane curls going in one project, it often leads to another.

Having just finished the base for Looking Glass, I decided to solve the problem that Diane had looking at M13 the other night. Hercules is nearly at the zenith in the evening this time of year, and My first mate was not quite tall enough to see through the vertical scope and that led to contortions as she tried to keep her toes on the rungs of my observing stool, holding onto my shoulders to not fall over.

I remembered a chair that I had taken at the Texas Star Party, made by StarMaster. My neighbor at the TSP had a used one for sale and I thought the idea was clever.

I thought about that design and decided that I could make a similar device for about 5 dollars in materials. I made the two "ladders" from 2x2s. The total lumber was four of these inexpensive boards. I had a scrap of 3/4 inch plywood from the scope project, and that made a good platform.

The step can be moved to any of the "rungs" on the seat. That allows Diane to stand on a low step for a quick observation. The same usefulness will probably be enjoyed by kids at public star parties. The four foot height of the rails may give them something to hold onto instead of the scope too. But the design is also an observing stool with multiple levels.

My thanks to the folks at StarMaster who built the version that I saw. I recommend their design as a great way to show people wonders and for the observer to sit down and enjoy an object.

1 comment:

  1. NICE...what do you think the weight limit is on it? I'm about 290 lbs.

    ReplyDelete