Sunday, August 16, 2009

Risk Management in Astronomy


One of my nicknames is Risk. Hence, “Risk’s Wildly Successful” series of helpful insights. The way I came across that nickname was my function in an Air Force laboratory as the champion for Risk Management.

Life would be pretty boring if risk was always eliminated or minimized. My goal has never been to eliminate risk, but to control it – and to never let risk control me. I enjoy the heart pounding experience of pushing my limits on a mountain bike, teeth chattering as I descend a rocky trail. I enjoy the experience of standing in front of 300 people with a brand new talk, knowing that a few of those people may know more about the subject than I do. I enjoy reading people’s faces and knowing whether I am talking over their heads, or whether I am being dreadfully boring. These sorts of things are the spice of life.

Something happened this weekend which brought back to my mind the necessity of practicing Risk Management in Astronomy. We were on the way back from Hill Country State Natural Area. My son was in the pick-up with me and his fiancée was in our Corolla with Diane. It was about midnight.

Somewhere on Bandera Highway, Diane fell asleep for a moment. She was driving the car and drifted left of the yellow line. Ashley was sleepy but awake enough to know that Diane was not playing a joke on her. She quickly woke Diane and both of them drove the rest of the way home with a fresh pile of adrenaline in their veins!

Its not that our family is unaware of the dangers of driving sleepy. I personally think it is now more of a problem than “driving drunk” for our society. Driving drunk may have been more of a problem in the past, but most people now know the severe penalties for driving drunk and avoid doing so.

That brought to mind the kinds of risks that we astronomers need to control in our sport. We all know the risk of looking at the sun with a telescope. It will instantly and permanently ruin eyesight to look at the sun with aided optics. But how many of us are very careful when moving a scope around during the daytime? I remember one time this summer when I happened to glance down the tube of a reflector to see how much dust was on the mirror. The sun’s reflection hit me hard in one eye! Stupid, stupid, stupid! It took 5 minutes before I was convinced that my eye was not damaged.

Driving around at night, we not only run the risk of falling asleep, but we have to stay on the alert for large animals in the roadway. Here in Texas, that means deer and pigs. Driving back from Hill Country, Diane and I have counted up to 17 deer next to the highway.

We have to be careful about heavy scopes hurting our backs, tripping over tent stakes, and letting large scopes crush fingers and hands. These are not idle threats. As I have written, the reason I got a nice camping spot at the Texas Star Party this year was that a fellow tripped over a tent stake going to a restroom and broke his leg.

We need to be careful about being alone in lonely places. The only people who have bothered me while observing at the side of the road have been policemen. But other observers have not been quite as lucky. We need to be ready to defend ourselves while in lonely places. We also need to make sure that we have permission to be observing. One significant form of my risk management is developing friendships of folks that are willing to allow me to observe from their property instead of stopping along lonely roads like I used to do.

But learning to only drive while awake remains the most important risk management technique. There are two means of controlling this problem. The first is to learn how to stay out all night. This takes some equipment and experience. The second control mechanism is to learn to stop driving whenever I get sleepy – before getting so sleepy that I nod off. It does not matter if I am 10 miles from home or 1 mile from home. There is ALWAYS someplace where I can pull off the road and take a short nap. Even a 10 minute nap will give me many more minutes of awake time. It is always OK to stop to sleep. Dad is not at home looking at his watch. Go to sleep after the wheels stop rolling. Really. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment