Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Best of the Best

As I was sitting in the back yard the other night hoping for clear
skies, I started to think about what would be on my list of the best of
the best objects in the night sky. I thought that a list of 5 might be
harder to come up with than a list of 10.

The list I came up with was:

Moon
Milky Way
Saturn
Jupiter
M42 - Orion Nebula

Next on my list might be:

M45 - Pleiades
M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
M13 - Hercules Globular Cluster
M9 - Lagoon Nebula
M57 - Ring Nebula

My 11th would be the Crab Nebula, M1.

What would be on *your* list of the 5 and 10 top night-time sky objects?

Next question I have for myself is how much do I know about these
objects? What class of object are they? What has been their history?
How far away are they? What was going on in history when the light from
them started this way? For the deep space objects, who discovered them,
and when?

2 comments:

  1. "Moon
    Milky Way
    Saturn
    Jupiter
    M42 - Orion Nebula"

    Wow your more of a Planetary Observer than I thought! 3/5 within our solar system.

    ReplyDelete