Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gear Case with Foam Insert


Over the last couple weekends, I decided that I needed to come up with a better way to carry my Telrads, eyepieces, and other "stuff" that I use for every star party and every astronomy event.

I had been using a brown cloth bag, designed as a tool bag, and all those things were rattling around in the bottom of the bag. (The eyepieces were in their own pocket.) But I almost always found that the Telrads had been knocked around enough so that their on/off switch had rotated to on. Fortunately, a Telrad runs for a long time with its switch in the On position.

I built a wood case and bought some camera case foam. I built the foam "jig saw" shown in the photo from a 3 amp 12 volt transformer and a piece of nichrome wire.

Here you see the result of my project. If anyone in the San Antonio Astronomical Association needs some foam cut for a box, I now have the right tool for the job. Just let me know.

Dark Skies,

Risk

No comments:

Post a Comment