Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Long nights

I was able to finish up the mechanical part of the scope rebuild last night. It is about 2 inches taller than the previous version. Maybe I can adjust that. First view was the Orion nebula at 11 PM. It works!

It was harder to put the mirror cell back on the cast iron base plate than I had imagined it would be. I put the mirror cell box on my saw horse and laid down under it like a car mechanic. That allowed me to see where the springs were to finally get the first screw in.

After mounting the mirror in the base, I was pleased that the balance point was right at the top of the box, and that is with Telrad, finder scope, and eyepiece attached.

I'm thinking through paint schemes. I am thinking about black braces on the secondary housing, black trusses, a black interior to the mirror cell, black altitude bearings (half moons) and blonde varnish on most other pieces.

Anyone know a good way to paint a half moon on the half moons? Tole paining techniques might work, if I can find a good pattern to copy.

2 comments:

  1. You've got to post some photos of the completed scope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I have to take them first.

    I will take photos before the paint goes on.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete