Thursday, November 26, 2009

Introducing Looking Glass II


A couple nights of work in the garage was transformed into a new telescope housing for my 16 inch Lightbridge. When I bought the scope last summer, I originally knew that I wanted to use the optics to build a new scope.

But wanting to get the scope in the field led me to a project to do a partial rebuild to correct the two main problems that I knew about with the Lightbridge. I was able to move the center of the altitude bearing up a couple inches and was able to reduce the weight of the base.

But this never really left me satisfied. I knew that I wanted to build a StarMaster type housing for the optics. I wanted to build in wood. I wanted to put something of myself in the design.

So this last weekend, I began the process. I stole some of the woodwork that I had done for the Looking Glass project - one that I called the Hyperlightbridge base.

I finished the woodwork on Tuesday evening and had a first light celebration. Last night I finished the wood with a combination of varnish and black paint.

There will still be a couple improvements. I need to build a mirror cover. I need to find a good way to transport the scope. I need to make a new cloth cover for dew.

The nice thing about building something myself is fearlessness in modifying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment